The National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems (NCPERS) is the largest trade association for public sector pension funds, representing more than 550 funds throughout the United States and Canada. It is a unique non-profit network of public trustees, administrators, public officials and investment professionals who collectively manage more than $3.7 trillion in pension assets. Founded in 1941, NCPERS is the principal trade association working to promote and protect pensions by focusing on advocacy, research and education for the benefit of public sector pension stakeholders.
NCPERS has been leading the charge on a number of significant issues for the benefit of public fund members, including spearheading efforts to implement the Healthcare Enhancement for Public Safety (HELPS) Retirees legislation that was enacted in 2006. HELPS Retirees allows retired public safety employees to use up to $3000 from their defined benefit or other qualified retirement plan to pay for the cost of healthcare or long-term care premiums on a tax free basis.
Please click on the links below to learn more about NCPERS'' government affairs efforts.
- NCPERS Maryland Testimony on Maryland's Retirement Savings Legislation, February 24, 2015
- NCPERS Testimony on Private Sector Pension/Retirement Plans, in front of the Maryland Senate Budget & Taxation Committee, February 20, 2014
- NCPERS Written Statement for the Hearing Recod Regarding the Role of Social Security, Defined Benefits and Private Retirement Accounts in the Face of the Retirement Crisis, December 18, 2013
- Hatch's SAFE Act Would Increase Costs While Putting Public Pensions at Risk, NCPERS Tells NCOIL's Legislative Committee, November 25, 2013
- Addressing Washington's Private Sector Retirement Security Dilemma, November 21, 2013
- Addressing Maryland's Private Sector Retirement Security Dilemma, October 23, 2013
- NCPERS Testimony on Maryland's SB 1051, March 21, 2013
NCPERS LEGISLATIVE ISSUES BOOK