Pension Defense Tool Kit
Public pensions remain one of the most efficient forms of fiscal policy for state and local governments; however, decades of corporate greed and misguided policy decisions have left public pensions vulnerable to attack from politicians, the media, and the public. In 2010, NCPERS created the Public Pension Toolkit; a template for what local or regional media outreach efforts built to support retirement security for all public employees should contain. In the 8 years since we first created the toolkit, the issues and our universal messages have evolved. This updated toolkit was created with the National Public Pension Coalition (NPPC).
NCPERS LEGISLATIVE ISSUES BOOK
The Legislative Issues Book is published annually, in conjunction with the NCPERS Legislative Conference, to highlight the key issues affecting public pension funds and define NCPERS position on each issue.
- 2019 Legislative Issues Book
- 2018 Legislative Issues Book
- 2017 Legislative Issues Book
- 2016 Legislative Issues Book
- 2015 Legislative Issues Book
- 2014 Legislative Issues Book
- 2013 Legislative Issues Book
National Public Pension Coalition's 2019 Grant Process
Grants are offered to state or local pension coalitions on an annual basis. Grants will be offered to coalitions based upon the strength of state coalitions and the immediacy of legislative threats (or opportunities) to public employee pensions.
NPPC awards annual grants which are distributed regularly. After the initial check is sent to grant recipients, continuing disbursements are made as grantees demonstrate a good faith effort to implement their plan. Requirements for ongoing financial support include, but are not limited to:
- Willingness to provide regular and timely updates to NPPC regarding progress toward the goals laid out by the coalition in their application.
- Commitment of coalition partners to operate on consensus and a good faith effort to work in harmony with one another.
- Flexibility of the coalition to adjust the plan laid out in grant application as the legislative landscape changes throughout session.
NCPERS LETTERS TO THE LEGISLATURE
February 26, 2018
NCPERS is opposing H.R. 4015, the “Corporate Governance Reform and Transparency Act of 2017”. This legislation would undercut public pensions ability to receive independent, unbiased corporate governance research and undermine their ability to effectively exercise their fiduciary responsibilities. Please read the NCPERS letters to Congressional leaders below to learn more about this important issue.
November 13, 2017
NCPERS urges our members to email and/or call your state congressional delegation to express your concerns and ask them to oppose AND not include the unrelated business income tax (UBIT) in Sec. 5001 of H.R. 1, the House passed version of the tax bill, in the final compromise bill. Time is of the essence as conferees are expected to report out a compromise bill this week. Please use the model letter for your emails to your delegation or as talking points when you call them.
- NCPERS Submits Comments to Michigan Treasurer on the Proposed Uniform Assumptions, August 31, 2018
- NCPERS Comment to CMS, February 12, 2018
- NCPERS Testimony on Secure Choice Pension in New Mexico, August 29, 2016
- NCPERS Testimony On Intro 692-A, A Bill To Address NYC's Retirement Crisis, June 23, 2015
- NCPERS Testimony Expressing Concern With Pension Changes Proposed In PA Senate Bill 1, June 4, 2015
- NCPERS Maryland Testimony on Maryland's Retirement Savings Legislation, February 24, 2015