Research Studies are an in-depth analysis on a variety of timely topics related to public pension plans.
- The Case for New Pension Accounting Standards (May 2019)
- Financing Retiree Health Strategies in the Public Sector (February 2019)
- Unintended Consequences: How Scaling Back Public Pensions Puts Government Revenues at Risk (May 2018)
- Economic Loss: The Hidden Cost of Prevailing Pension Reforms (May 2017)
- Economic Volatility: The Hidden Societal Cost of Prevailing Approaches to Pension Reform (May 2016)
- J.P. Morgan/ NCPERS Public Pension Funded Status Tracker, (May 2016)
- Income Inequality: Hidden Economic Cost of Prevailing Approaches to Pension Reforms (May 2015)
- NCPERS And J.P Morgan Asset Management's Joint Paper "Alternative Investments: Striking The Balance Between Growth Tomorrow And Liquidity Today"
- Origins of the Financial Markets Meltdown, the Need for Financial Reform, and the Dodd-Frank Bill Response (2011)
- The Evolution of Public Sector Pension Plans
- 2008 Election Eve Survey
- Morning Star Report: The Relative Performance Record and Asset Allocation of Public Defined Benefit Plans
- NCPERS Creating a Retiree Medical Trust
The Research Series are shorter issue briefs on topical issues related to public pension plans.
- NCPERS Research Series April 2019: Auto-Triggers: Exploring Their Potential in the Public Pension Ecosystem
- NCPERS Research Series November 2017: Don't Dismantle Public Pensions Because They Aren't 100% Funded
- NCPERS Research Series August 2017: Public Pensions Are a Good Deal for Taxpayers
- NCPERS Research Series September 2016: Pension Policy at a Crossroads
- NCPERS Research Series July 2016: A Different Way to Look at Total Compensation: Cost Basis Versus Relative- Value Basis
- NCPERS Research Series March 2016: Are State and Local Pension Funds Taking More Risk Now Than Before?
- NCPERS Research Series February 2016: How Did the Shift from Defined Benefit Pensions to Defined Contribution Plans in the Private Sector Impact Retirement Savings?
- NCPERS Research Series April 2015: What is the Cost of Transitioning from a DB Plan to a DC Plan?
- NCPERS Research Series January 2011: The Top Ten Advantages of Maintaining Defined Benefit Plans
- NCPERS Research Series November 2008: The Advantages of Using Conventional Actuarial Approaches for Valuing Public Pension Plans
- NCPERS Research Series January 2008: GASB 45 Survey of NCPERS Members